Hire me to assess your foundation problems
I will give you impartial, professional advice based on engineering fundamentals and save you from unjustified foundation repairs.
If needed, I will craft an action plan suited to your specific situation, that you can trust.
- Interview: I ask questions to determine the history of the foundation distress.
- Observations: I make observations of readily visible portions of the foundation, which includes recording information about cracks, tilting, leaning, and bulging. I assess the interior of the house for signs of damage caused by foundation distress, which includes recording information about damaged finishes, unlevel floors, out of plumb walls, and doors and windows that do not operate properly. Furthermore, I visually assess the house exterior and yard for signs of problems associated with site grade, roof drainage, exterior plumbing, and vegetation.
- Analysis: Based on the information obtained from the interview and on-site observations, I provide a professional opinion about the severity and the cause of the visible damage.
- Recommendations: Based on the findings, I share best practices for foundation maintenance and care. If needed, I give recommendations for methods of repair tailored to the specific needs of your house foundation.
By the end of the assessment you will know…
- The severity of your foundation problems.
- The likely cause of those foundation problems.
- Best practices for foundation care and maintenance.
- If needed, appropriate methods and actions to take to repair your house foundation.
When to hire me for a foundation assessment
There are many situations in which it is advisable to retain a licensed structural engineer to perform a foundation assessment. Below are a few common situations in which my clients hire me for my services:
- Homeowners hire me when they notice signs of foundation distress and want honest advice about what to do.
- Homeowners hire me when they want to learn how to manage their property in a way that minimizes chances for foundation distress.
- Homeowners, home buyers and home sellers hire me when they want a second opinion after a foundation contractor gives a quote for costly repairs.
- Home buyers hire me when their mortgage lender requires an engineer’s evaluation of the foundation. This is common when home buyers are seeking a VA, HUD, FHA or Rural Development loan.
- Home buyers hire me when their Home Inspector notes signs of foundation distress on the Home Inspection report and want honest advice about what to do.
- Home sellers hire me when they are readying their house for sale and want honest advice about what to do. Establishing the extent of foundation problems can help the home sellers and their realtors to set an attractive sale price.